PLEASE NOTE: Our office takes your protection during this COVID-19 virus outbreak seriously. We are conducting business as usual.
Protecting Your Family, Your Property and Your Business
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Divorce Modifications

When Life Changes Again After Divorce

When you finalized your divorce, you and your ex-spouse probably made agreements on issues such as child support, child custody and spousal support/alimony. These agreements reflected each party’s situation at the time the divorce was finalized. Situations change, however, and obtaining modifications is often necessary so a divorce order reflects an individual’s current circumstances.

At Zollie C. Steakley, PLLC, we have provided experienced counsel to family law clients since 1976. We understand the steps necessary to obtain divorce modifications and know how to frame arguments that give you the best chance for success.

To schedule an initial consultation, please contact our Sweetwater lawyer by calling 325-455-0628 (toll free at 888-900-1428). We look forward to learning more about your needs.

How Do You Obtain A Modification In Texas?

Courts need good reasons to alter pre-existing divorce orders. As a petitioner, you must show that you have experienced a material and substantial change in your circumstances. Attorney Zollie C. Steakley is experienced at obtaining and defending against modifications, and knows what a judge will be looking for during arguments. We will provide you with the personal service you expect and the attention your case deserves.

Speak to our firm today if you experienced a change in your life involving:

  • The loss of your job
  • A promotion or demotion (a change in income level)
  • Changes to a child’s needs
  • The medical needs of yourself or your child
  • Changes to a child’s desires (assuming appropriate age)
  • Remarriage

Can My Ex-Spouse And I Make Informal Agreements?

The short answer is yes — you and your ex-spouse can make informal agreements to modify your obligations. Informal agreements, however, are very risky. Anything that is not reflected in your formal divorce order will not be upheld should disagreements arise in the future. For example, if you and your ex-spouse agree to reduce child support payments, the paying spouse will still be responsible for the full amount should a dispute arises. We invite you to come to our office and discuss your options before altering your child support, alimony or custody obligations.

Many modifications can be made formal without a trial, but this requires the help of an experienced attorney who can ensure all changes are legally enforceable.

The Importance Of Sound Legal Advice

Answers vary based on your unique situation. Please send our Texas family law office a message online to get started with an initial consultation.